Current events for
|Events in space history for 01/09:|
- Washington witnessed first balloon flight in America (1793).
- First trial flight of the Concorde (1969).
- EAA moved headquarters to Oshkosh, WI (1984).
- In his state-of-the-Union message, President Eisenhower reported: "In recognition of the need for single control in some of our most advanced development projects, the Secretary of Defense has already decided to concentrate into one organization all antimissile and satellite technology undertaken within the Department of Defense" (1958).
- NASA-DOD agreement signed for a "National Program To Meet Satellite and Space Vehicle Tracking and Surveillance Requirements" for fiscal year 1959 and fiscal year 1960 (1959).
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory awarded contract to Beckman Instruments for design studies on equipment to analyze the surface of the Moon (1961).
- Japanese scientist associated with Radio Research Laboratories of the Japanese Ministry of Communications began studies of space communications at NASA's Goldstone, Calif., Deep Space Tracking Station (1961).