Current events for
|Events in space history for 01/11:|
- William Herschel discovered first moon of Uranus (1787).
(Click on URANUS for more information.)
- Element Fr (francium) discovered (1930).
- Shuttle OFT Crew Escape System (ejection seat) completed successful test (1977).
- Army Air Corps announced the control of robot planes, either by radio from the ground or from another plane, had been tested successfully (1941).
- First U.S. combat use of forward-firing rockets made by Navy TBF-1C's against a German submarine (1944).
- First launching of a rocket model employing known but nonaerodynamic torque from canted rocket nozzles, for determining damping in roll of wings, at NACA's Wallops Island, Va. (1948).
- James H. Doolittle, Chairman of the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics, announced that a special committee on space technology was formed on November 21, 1957 (1957).
- President-elect Kennedy announced that Jerome B. Wiesner of MIT would be special assistant to the President for science and technology (1961).