Current events for
|Events in space history for 01/17:|
- First precise observation of the position of Mars (272 B.C.).
- Benjamin Franklin born (1706).
- First time a ship crossed the Antarctic Circle (1773).
- First launching of a test model towed by a rocket vehicle with a flexible towline, by Langley Laboratory's PARD at Wallops Island, Va. (1955).
- First launch of Navy Polaris test vehicle at Cape Canaveral (1958).
- First invention award under the authority of the National Aeronautics and Space Act of 1958 given to Dr. Frank T. McClure of the Applied Physics Laboratory of Johns Hopkins for his satellite Doppler navigation system, the $3,000 award being presented by NASA Administrator Glennan at NASA headquarters (1961).