Current events for
|Events in space history for 01/23:|
- Ground-breaking for NASA Lewis Research Center (1941).
Click here for a description of a Lewis Program.
- Bathyscope "Trieste" reached bottom of Pacific (1960).
- First American military balloon ascension in the AEF took place at Cuperly, Marne, France (1918).
- Modern aircraft carriers Lexington and Saratoga participated in fleet exercises for the first time (1929).
- Telemetry operated successfully in a V-2 firing at WSPG, Army Ordnance's Hermes telemetry system (1947).
- USAF established the Air Research and Development Command (ARDC) (1950).
- Dr. T. Keith Glennan, NASA Administrator, announced appointment of chairmen of 13 new research advisory committees to provide technical counsel from industry, universities, and government organizations (1959).
- Final test flight of USAF Atlas D traveled 5,000 miles to target down Atlantic Missile Range, representing 35 successes, 8 partials, and 6 failures in 49 test launchings for D model (1961).
- NASA selected United Aircraft to make feasibility study of ion rocket application for long space flights (1961).