Current events for
|Events in space history for 01/27:|
- Apollo 1 fire killed three astronauts (1967).
- Pasiphae, a satellite of Jupiter, discovered (1908).
- National Geographic Society founded (1888).
- First American bomber raid on Germany by USAAF against Wilhelmshaven (1943).
- Dr. Hugh L. Dryden, Director of the NACA, in a speech to the Institute of the Aeronautical Sciences, stressed the importance of a well-planned and logical space program embracing both civilian and military uses. He stated that the national space program should be under the joint control of the Department of Defense, the NACA, the National Academy of Sciences, and the National Science Foundation; in addition to research flights, the NACA would "coordinate and conduct research in space technology in its own laboratories and by contract in support of both military and nonmilitary projects" (1958).