Current events for
|Events in space history for 01/28:|
- Shuttle Challenger exploded; seven crew members killed (1986).
Click on children's Challenger poems.
- Dr. Hugh L. Dryden, Chief of the Mechanics and Sound Division of the National Bureau of Standards, elected president of the IAS (1943).
- Thor IRBM successfully fired from Cape Canaveral, flew prescribed course, and impacted in preselected area (1958).
- Nike-Cajun successfully launched 12-foot-diameter test inflatable sphere to a height of 75 miles over NASA Wallops Island, the sphere inflating satisfactorily (1959).
- One hundred ten candidates were selected by NASA in the first screening for Project Mercury astronauts from Air Force, Navy, and Marine Corps test-pilot schools (1959).