Current events for
|Events in space history for 01/29:|
- First flight (experimental) of Chinese Long March 3 (1984).
- Galileo sighted Neptune but failed to recognize what he saw (1613).
- Daniel Bernoulli born (1700).
- Soviet Phobos 2 entered Mars orbit after travelling 200 days (1989).
- An American altitude record of 38,704 feet was set by Lt. J. A. Macready (USAS) in an XCO5-A Liberty 400 at Dayton, Ohio (1926).
- Remains of Wac Corporal which reached 250-mile altitude on February 24, 1949, found on desert near WSPG (1950).
- The DOD announced plans to establish the National Pacific Missile Range (PMR) as part of the Naval Air Missile Test Center at Point Mugu, Calif., the range to be designed for long-range guided missile and ICBM testing (1958).
- First jet passenger service across the United States begun by American Airlines with Boeing 707's (1959).
- NASA announced establishment of Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) in New York City, which would be an extension of the Theoretical Division of Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md. It will be headed by Dr. Robert Jastrow (1961).