Current events for
|Events in space history for 02/03:|
- Luna 9 made a soft landing on the Moon (1966).
- First untethered flight of a man away from a manned spacecraft occurred during Bruce McCandless' MMU EVA on STS 41B (1984).
- Soviet Premier Nikolai A. Bulganin in a letter to President Eisenhower stated that the Soviet Union "is ready to examine also the question of the intercontinental rockets if the Western powers are willing to reach agreement to ban atomic and hydrogen weapons, to end tests thereof, and to liquidate foreign military bases in other nations' territories. In that case, an agreement on the use of outer space for peaceful purposes only would unquestionably meet no difficulties." (1958).
- Scientists at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory at the California Institute of Technology reported that initial data from EXPLORER I showed that cosmic radiation on its orbit did not exceed 12 times the amount on earth (1958).
- At Wright Field, Lt. H. A. Sutton began a series of tests to study the spinning characteristics of planes, for which he was awarded the Mackay Trophy (1928).
- Development of a plane with automatic devices to preset takeoff, flight, and landing, with the pilot doing nothing except monitoring the equipment, disclosed by AAF (1946).