Current events for
|Events in space history for 02/06:|
- First time a golf ball was hit on the Moon Alan Shepherd on Apollo 14 (1971).
- 54 in. of snow fell on Rhode Island (1978).
- Aeronautical Engine Laboratory transferred from Washington Navy Yard to the Naval Aircraft Factory, establishing the Naval Aircraft Factory as the center of naval aeronautical development (1923).
- Pratt & Whitney produced first Wasp engine, a nine-cylinder radial air-cooled engine of about 400 hp at 1,800 rpm (1926).
- Successful electronic flight control exercised on V-2 launch to a 70-mile altitude at White Sands, N. Mex., by General Electric technicians for Army Ordnance (1948).
- The Senate passed S. Res. 256, creating a Special Committee on Space and Astronautics to frame legislation for a national program of space exploration and development (1958).
- First test launch of USAF Titan ICBM (A-3) from Cape Canaveral (1959).
- NASA Aerobee-Hi successfully reached 96 miles above Wallops Station in test of behavior of liquid hydrogen in zero gravity for Lewis Research Center hydrogen propulsion development (1961).