Current events for
|Events in space history for 02/09:|
- Apollo 14 splashdown (1971).
- Grant signed law that created Federal Meteorological Service (1870).
- The Department of Space Medicine was established at the School of Aviation Medicine, Randolph AFB, Texas (1949).
- Navy's Martin Viking No. 3 successfully launched to 50-mile altitude from White Sands (1950).
- Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory reported that Earth is a slightly irregular ellipsoid according to new calculations (1960).
- James E. Webb confirmed by the Senate as Administrator of NASA (1960).
- Gen. Thomas D. White, USAF Chief of Staff, ordered space surveillance functions transferred from Air Research and Development Command to the Air Defense Command at Ent Air Force Base, Colo., as technology in this field moved from research and development to an operational stage. The ADC established Spadats (space detection and tracking system) (1961).