Current events for
|Events in space history for 02/16:|
- Miranda (moon of Uranus) first photographed (1948).
- Star Trek tribbles (props) donated to National Air and Space Museum (1973).
- Plant for assembly of American-made airplanes began operations at Romorantin, France (1918).
- NASA Explorer IX placed in orbit by four-stage Scout booster from Wallops Station, the first satellite launching from Wallops, and the first satellite boosted by a solid-fuel rocket. Explorer IX was a 12-foot diameter sphere after inflation at orbital altitude (1961).
- NASA and France agreed to establish joint program to test communications satellites to be launched by NASA in 1962 and 1963 in Projects Relay and Rebound (1961).