Current events for
|Events in space history for 02/20:|
- John Glenn orbited the Earth three times (1962).
- First antartic aurora seen by Cook (1773).
- The Secretary of War approved Ordnance plans for the establishment of the White Sands Proving Ground (WSPG) (1945).
- First of a series of V-2 firings (No. 20) known as Blossom Project, tested ejection of canister and its recovery by parachute, containing fruit flies and various types of seeds exposed to cosmic rays (1947).
- U.S. National Committee for the IGY submitted report of its Technical Panel on the Earth Satellite Program to the National Science Foundation and the Department of Defense, which outlined a post-IGY space research program (1957).
- NASA awarded $105 million in contracts for 1959 projects (15 satellites) (1959).
- Navy told the House Committee on Science and Astronautics that Polaris could be used as a mobile satellite launch vehicle (1961).